Shettles method – Trying for a boy or girl.
Let’s be honest here. After my daughter was born I was reluctant to have another child. My husband came from a large family and wanted 4+ kids. I had 2 sisters, but honestly, growing up I wasn’t sure I was going to have children – but obviously that changed once I met my husband.
We were both in love with our beautiful daughter, but I knew deep down he wanted a son. I also knew he would most likely want to ‘keep trying’ until he had one. Where I was in life, if I was going to be pregnant again, I wanted to try give him the son he was after, hoping to make him realize a girl and a boy was all we needed (not 2 of each!).
I did some research and came across something called the Shettles method – developed, funnily enough by Dr Shettles in the 1960’s. People seemed to have great success with it and I thought it couldn’t hurt to try.
What is the Shettles Method?
The shettles method has two distinct advantages: the methods cost nothing and you do not require any medical treatments to conceive. Men produce two types of sperm — X being female and Y being male. Dr Shettles found from his studies that the male sperm are smaller, weaker and faster than the female sperm, therefore, he was able to come to the following suggestions to help couples try and choose the sex of their baby.
Shettles Method to have a boy
- Aim to have sex when you are most fertile. Keep a basal body temperature chart and record your fertile days. When you have ovulated or are about to, then have sex. This is because Y sperm swim faster and can’t hang around for as long.
- Avoid having sex until just before you ovulate. Wait until you are most fertile.
- Be creative with your sexual positions. Deep penetration is thought to help because this helps the sperm to be deposited as close to the cervix as possible.
- Simultaneous orgasm also helps the Y sperm to get to where they need to go.
- Have a cup of coffee and share some chocolate before you have sex. The caffeine in these helps to propel the Y sperm and make them more active.
Shettles Method to have a girl
- Aim to have a lot of sex before you ovulate. Track your ovulation cycles and mucous changes so you know when ovulation is close.
- Shallow sexual positions may help.
- The more frequently a man ejaculates, the less numbers of Y sperm. So the frequency of his orgasms is important if you want a girl baby.
- Women need to hold back on having an orgasm. These help to initiate pelvic contractions which assist those Y sperm in their venture to the egg.
I started using an app to monitor my cycle, prior to our wedding, knowing that once we were officially husband and wife we should start for #2.
Following the guidelines of the Shettles Method we worked out the best date to ‘do it’.
As per the book we held off ‘doing it’ the week before I ovulated because that’s better for ‘boys’. I had my copper IUD taken out 3 days prior to ‘D’ day. Before the act, I made my hubby down a can of Redbull (apparently caffeine helps the boys swim faster). I was on top (TMI? sorry) and I made sure to ‘finish’, all requirements to create the right environment for ‘boys’ to win the race to the egg.
A few days later I had a weird taste in my mouth and a ‘feeling’ I was pregnant – and I was. Poor baby boy has a terrible birthday – December 28th. We had though it might take 6 months to get pregnant, so we started trying straight after our wedding (like a week after). It probably should’t have surprised us that it worked the first time, after all our daughter made a surprise appearance while I was taking the pill!
Have you had any success with the Shettles Method???
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information on the shettles method has been included for reference only. What worked for us may not work for you. It is not guaranteed to give you the ‘recipe’ for the desired gender you are trying for.